The NY Times interviewed Anne Mulcahy, CEO of Xerox on Sunday in their Corner Office segment. She offered several keen observations on a wide range of subjects that are worth considering:
- Leadership is the essence of creating “followership” … recognize that all employees are “volunteers”. Communication is fundamental to keep everyone focused on the same ball.
- In a crisis, there is compelling momentum for change. Channel it and use it!
- The CEO job is very isolating. Get out and talk to CEO’s, coaches, others … what are they worried about? how are they dealing with the stress of the challenges? What are some of their great ideas?
- There is very little honest feedback in companies … it’s critical to get candid assessments.
- Keep your primary contact list handy … thumb through it regularly to make sure you’re staying in touch with the key members of your team and network.